What is an opening quote?
An opening quote is an articulate quote that sets the scene for the speech, presentation or writing that is to follow. Usually a deep, famous, poignant and/or funny quote, it helps the presenter (or writer) begin by immediately connecting their audience with the upcoming subject matter.
The writer or presenter will usually commence with something along the lines of:
‘Joe Blogs was once quoted as saying ….”Grass is green…” etc.
They will then go on to explain how this ties in to what they are going to be speaking about.
Using a quote to commence your speech can be very effective as it’s attention grabbing, sparks interest from the audience and paints a picture with words.
Whilst many commence with a famous quote, it’s not always necessary. As long as you can tie the quote in with your topic and that its relevant, it’s still a great way to commence.
Opening Quote Ideas
What you choose to quote as your ‘opening quote’ will greatly depend on your topic. Just be aware of over-used quotes, or quotes that a bit too cringey for your audience. Take your time and find a meaningful quote that will be unique for your topic of conversation.
We’ve grouped a few suggestions to get you started:
Funny Opening Quotes
Remember to consider your audience!:
- Funny Procrastination Quotes That Will Inspire You To Act (Or Maybe Not?)
- 26 Funny Productivity Quotes
- 40 Funny Self Love Quotes
- 24 Funny Positive Thinking Quotes To Make You Laugh!
- Life Is Short! Funny Quotes to Remind Us
- 72 Funny Inspirational Quotes About Life
Inspiring Opening Quotes
Inspiring quotes are a great way to open graduation or valedictory speeches, award speeches and motivating events:
- 58 Powerful Quotes That Hit Hard
- Life Is A Journey Quotes; 26 Inspiring Sayings of Hope
- 36 of The Best Aristotle Quotes to Inspire & Motivate
- 18 Eye-Opening Quotes About Moving Forward In Life
- Keep Going Quotes; For An Extra Boost (& A Little Humor)
- 46 Inspiring Quotes About Reaching Your Goal
- 30 Inspiring Quotes About Enjoying Life
- 32 Inspiring Quotes on Volunteering
Happy Opening Quotes
Happy quotes are a great way to start when the event is light and positive – or you want it to become so:
- 72 Short Happy Quotes To Brighten Your Day
- True Happiness Quotes & Sayings
- 32 ‘Life Is Short, Be Happy’ Quotes; Just A Little Reminder!
- How To Be Happy With What You Have: 24 Quotes To Encourage You
- Inspirational Buddha Quotes On Love, Happiness & Change
- Short Quotes About Happiness
Short Opening Quotes
If you need to keep your opening quote short and to the point, then the following collections are best:
- Short Famous Quotes About Life (and other important stuff)
- 25 Beautiful Short Quotes About Love
- Very Short Quotes about Life and Inspiration
If you’re looking for other great ways to start a speech (and things to avoid!) then check out this great video: