Why You Should Keep A Gratitude Journal
A gratitude journal is a great way to inspire you to feel more gratitude in your life.
It’s cheap, quick and you can keep it super simple by keeping your journal next to your bed to easily jot down your feelings of gratitude in the morning or in the evening at the end of the day. It has positive effects in your personal life and your professional life and it’s great for mental health. You don’t need a fancy journal to get started but I do recommend a bound book (or bullet journal) so that you can collect all your words of gratitude and the good things in your life.
They make for excellent reading when you look back!
While keeping a gratitude journal is not the only way to practice gratitude regularly, it’s a great way to get started.
What Should I Write For Gratitude? What Is A Gratitude Journaling Prompt?
If it’s your first experience with journaling, you might quickly come up with a blank mind on how to actually think of things you’re grateful for. This is where gratitude prompts come in very handy.
When you’ve exhausted the ‘I’m grateful for X, Y and Z’, and feel yourself writing the same things each time, then it’s time to expand your gratitude horizons.
Because, sometimes we need to have a few prompts to remind us of what we are thankful for. It takes away any over-thinking or anxiety on what to write, and leads your mind into grateful thoughts.
A prompt is simply a jumpstart, a question or a phrase to make you consider something and provide an answer. Gratitude journal prompts can help guide your thinking towards areas of your life where you can find gratitude. Some premade gratitude journals already come with written prompts, however the below list is a simple way to create your own gratitude list.
“Maybe the art of life is to convert tough times to great experiences: We can choose to hate the rain or dance in it.” Joan Marques
What are you thankful for? Prompts To Expand Your Gratitude Practice
This list of over 80+ gratitude prompts will make it easy for you to remember the good stuff! Despite all the the good in our worlds, I know I can’t always automatically think of things I’m grateful for each day. I rely on these gratitude journal prompts to inspire me.
I hope you find them useful too.
List of Gratitude Journal Prompts
- What is something you’re looking forward to today?
- What is something that made you smile today?
- What made you laugh recently?
- What is one of your favorite childhood memories?
- What is your favorite family tradition?
- Who was your favorite teacher
- What makes you feel comfortable?
- Who makes you feel comfortable?
- Describe a problem you recently overcame?
- What is the best aspect of your job?
- What are you able to do with your pay?
- Name a friend that you are grateful for having in your life
- What opportunities have been given to you in your life?
- What is the best thing a grandparent taught you?
- What opportunities did your parent/s create for you?
- What skills do you have?
- What are you naturally talented at?
- What comes easy to you?
- What is your favorite purchase?
- What is your favorite smell?
- What is the perfect way to spend an evening with a loved one?
- What is your favorite flavour of icecream?
- What is your favorite sound?
- What is your favorite animal?
- How have you seen unconditional love in your life?
- What are 3 of the best things in your workplace?
- How is your life better today than it was a year ago?
- How is your life better today than it was 5 years ago?
- How is your life better today than it was 10 years ago?
- Look around the room you are currently in. What are yoy grateful for in it?
- What is your favorite space in your home?
- What is your favorite way to spend a weekend?
- What is your biggest accomplishment in life to date?
- What is your biggest career accomplishment?
- Describe your favorite pet?
- List 3 activities that always bring you joy.
- What is the best part of the city/town/suburb that you live in?
- What is better, the ocean or the river? Why?
- What is the best movie you saw recently?
- List 3 things you have done that brought others joy.
- Who is your oldest friend? Describe their best qualities.
- What is your favorite food?
- What are 5 of the best things about your country?
- What is your favorite way of practicing self care?
- What do others often compliment you on?
- What are the 5 best things about you today?
- Describe the last time you helped someone.
- Who is the best person in your life to have a good chat to?
- What is the best part of your day?
- Describe your perfect day.
- What are you most proud of in your life right now?
- What is your favorite television show right now?
- What is your favorite feel-good song right now?
- What is your favorite book?
- What book have you read multiple times? Why?
- What is your favorite holiday and why?
- What is your favorite vacation destination?
- What is your favorite meal that you make?
- Describe one of your most favorite people.
- What was the best thing about the weather today?
- What makes you smile instantly?
- What is a big goal that you’ve achieved?
- What is the healthiest part of you right now?
- Who is someone in your life that you can always count on?
- What is the last task that you completed really well?
- What is your favorite thing to look forward to in the evening?
- What is your favorite thing to look forward to in the morning?
- What is the best thing about your weekends?
- Night owl or early bird? Why?
- What quote makes you feel inspired?
- What is your favorite gratitude quote?
- What is something you used to find scary and now it no longer bothers you?
- What is your favorite team? Why?
- Who thanked you last and why?
- What are 3 things that make your life easier?
- What moral do you live by that you are most proud of?
- What are you looking forward to the most?
- What is your best habit?
- What bad habit have you been able to break?
- What’s your favorite way to spend time with your friends?
- What do you no longer take for granted?
- What is something that went well today?
- What has been the best part of the week so far?
Keeping a gratitude journal is a great way to reflect and inspire you to think in a more positive and grateful way. It’s a great way to create a habit of gratitude and to reflect back on these thoughts (and sometimes ramblings) and serves a beautiful reminder of how gratitude has the amazing ability to shift our mindsets and improve our lives from all facets.
Gratitude Journal Prompts Printable
If you would like a free printable download of these 80+ Gratitude Prompts, then fill out your details below for instant access.
If you would like more reading on the power and benefits of gratitude, please check out the following articles:
- The 7-Day Gratitude Challenge That Brings Fast Results
- Why is Gratitude Important?
- 9 Examples of Gratitude To Try (Beyond a Gratitude Journal)
- 6 Ted Talks On The Power Of Gratitude
- How To Practice Gratitude – 11 Simple Ideas
- 74 Gratitude Quotes: A Reminder Of The Good
- 20 Funny Gratitude Quotes: Because Life Isn’t Always Rosy!
- 16 Gratitude Quotes for Kids; Simple to Digest and Discuss Together