These powerful quotes are all about being happy alone.
Because being by yourself isn’t always a bad thing, in fact it’s quite liberating!
Can you be happy alone?
Being alone is not being lonely. It’s being able to do things on your own terms, without the input of other people. It’s making decisions, getting to know yourself and having the time and space to work out what you want and don’t want in life.
It’s a chance for introspection that we all need from time to time.
It’s also the very best alternative to being around people who undervalue you and don’t respect you. Because these types of people bring us down in life, which just sets us up for resentment and discontent when we settle for this treatment in life.
Quotes About Being Happy Alone
The following quotes about being happy alone will give you the inspiration to feel thankful and validated about being happy in your own company.
- “It’s far better to be unhappy alone than unhappy with someone — so far.” Marilyn Monroe
- “Sometimes life is too hard to be alone, and sometimes life is too good to be alone.” Elizabeth Gilbert
- “I used to think that the worst thing in life was to end up all alone. It’s not. The worst thing in life is ending up with people who make you feel all alone.” Robin Williams
- “Associate yourself with people of good quality, for it is better to be alone than in bad company.” Booker T. Washington
- “A season of loneliness and isolation is when the caterpillar gets its wings. Remember that next time you feel alone.” Mandy Hale
- “Like it or not, there are times when you need to be alone; times when you need to be lonely; times when you need to need other people.” Alan Bradley
- “I love to be alone. I never found the companion that was so companionable as solitude.” Henry David Thoreau
- “I think it’s good for a person to spend time alone. It gives them an opportunity to discover who they are and to figure out why they are always alone.” Amy Sedaris
- “The best part about being alone is that you really don’t have to answer to anybody. You do what you want.” Justin Timberlake
- “If you want to be happy, learn to be alone without being lonely. Learn that being alone does not mean being unhappy. The world is full of plenty of interesting and enjoyable things to do and people who can enrich your life.” Michael Josephson
- “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.” Buddha
- “If you wanted to do something absolutely honest, something true, it always turned out to be a thing that had to be done alone.” Richard Yates
- “And if you couldn’t be loved, the next best thing was to be let alone.” L.M. Montgomery
- “I had already found that it was not good to be alone, and so made companionship with what there was around me, sometimes with the universe and sometimes with my own insignificant self; but my books were always my friends, let fail all else.” Joshua Slocum
- “Until you get comfortable with being alone, you’ll never know if you’re choosing someone out of love or loneliness.” Mandy Hale
- “When you learn how to be alone you’ll discover the difference between alone and lonely.” LJ Vanier
- “As regards intellectual work it remains a fact, indeed, that great decisions in the realm of thought and momentous discoveries and solutions of problems are only possible to an individual, working in solitude.” Sigmund Freud
- “I don’t want to be alone; I want to be left alone.” Audrey Hepburn
- “It is only when we silent the blaring sounds of our daily existence that we can finally hear the whispers of truth that life reveals to us, as it stands knocking on the doorsteps of our hearts.” K.T. Jong
- “He succeeded in being considered totally uninteresting. People left him alone. And that was all he wanted.” Patrick Suskind
- “We need quiet time to examine our lives openly and honestly – spending quiet time alone gives your mind an opportunity to renew itself and create order.” Susan L. Taylor
- “All man’s miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone.” Blaise Pascal
- “I’m fascinated with myself and love hearing the sound of my own voice. I’d like to hear what I have to say. A lot of people don’t like being alone because they truly don’t like themselves, but I love me.” Gene Simmons
- “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.” Hafiz
- “People who do a job that claims to be creative have to be alone to recharge their batteries. You can’t live 24 hours a day in the spotlight and remain creative. For people like me, solitude is a victory.” Karl Lagerfeld
- “Without great solitude no serious work is possible.” Pablo Picasso
- “Sometimes you need to sit lonely on the floor in a quiet room in order to hear your own voice and not let it drown in the noise of others.” Charlotte Eriksson
- “You cannot be lonely if you like the person you’re alone with.” Wayne Dyer
- “Loneliness adds beauty to life. It puts a special burn on sunsets and makes night air smell better.” Henry Rollins
- “What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be.” Ellen Burstyn
Being happy alone requires a strong self worth and trust in ourselves. It’s liking ourselves and being in touch with what we truly want and need in our lives. If you’d like more reading on the subject, be sure to check out the following:
- You Deserve To Be Happy: 28 Inspiring Quotes That Say So
- Inspirational Quotes About Self Worth
- 40 Tricky Quotes That Are Thought-Provoking & Fun
- Dr Seuss Quotes: Full of Fun, Inspiration and Being Yourself!
- Better Yourself Quotes: 25 Encouraging Sayings
- The Enormous Benefits of Confidence & High Self Esteem