2020 Update: This post (and the title!) were written well before current 2020 events! Stay safe everyone and once it’s safe again to do so, then get back out and explore the wonderful world!
Whether you’re about to embark on a new adventure, or you’re back home and reminiscing – the following funny quotes about travel will put a smile on your face.
Travel can be fun and exciting, but quite often it’s the funny memories that are created along the way.
The silly mistakes you make while travelling, the food you simply can’t understand is the norm and the hilarity and frustration of not being able to speak the same language.
Funny Travel Quotes
1. “The saying ‘Getting there is half the fun’ became obsolete with the advent of commercial airlines.” Henry Tillman
Just as I contemplate an upcoming long plane ride with three small children…
2. “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine: it is lethal.” Paulo Coelho
This rings so true for me. A break from the normal routine is just what we need sometimes.
3. “A traveler without knowledge is a bird without wings.” Saadi
Have you felt this before when you’ve travelled?
It definitely gets you out of your comfort zone and is a wonderful part of travel. And while, spontaneity is part of the adventure, in some countries where you don’t speak the local language or understand the local culture, it can be awkward and frustrating. And put a bit of a damper on your day.
Plan at least the basics (travel from the airport, basic communications and what not to do) before you set off and you will enjoy the experience even more.
4. “The worst thing about being a tourist is having other tourists recognize you as a tourist.”Russell Baker
5. ‘To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” Aldous Huxley
Don’t believe everything you see in movies, read in the news or hear from others. Travel, immerse yourself and open your eyes in the world.
6. “If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home.” James A. Michener
7. “I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Sometimes we do travel to escape the everyday life. If change is as good as a holiday, then a holiday is a great way to change up your life.
8. “I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.” Susan Sontag
I mean, can you believe there are currently 195 countries in the world?
9. “The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.” Gilbert K. Chesterton
10. “I’m gonna put up a map with pins in all the locations that I’ve traveled to. But first, I’m gonna have to travel to the top two corners of the map so it won’t fall down.” Mitch Hedberg
Need to travel a little further away from where you’ve already been next time? 🙂
11. “I’ve been to almost as many places as my luggage.” Bob Hope
12. “The cool thing about being famous is traveling. I have always wanted to travel across seas, like to Canada and stuff.” Britney Spears
13. “The first condition of understanding a foreign country is to smell it.” Rudyard Kipling
Sometimes, it hits you as soon as you leave the airport, but that smell will always bring you back to the memories of your adventures.
14. “An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered.” Gilbert K. Chesterton
All depends how you look at it right?
If you’re looking for some inspiration to reach out and travel more and create more adventures in your life, then check out the following: